You're So Spain
Savory Spanish Blend
- ½ lb. orecchiette pasta, cooked in salted water, according to package directions. You can also Banza pasta (gluten-free) small shells or butterfly pasta
- ½ cup bread crumbs
Carrot Miso Sauce
- 2 shallots, rough chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp Healthy On You You’re So Spain spice Blend
- 3 medium-sized carrots
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp White Miso Paste
- Optional: ½ cup frozen peas
Carrot Top Gremolata
- ½ cup carrot tops (tender leaves) packed
- ½ cup Italian parsley
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tbsp lemon zest ( zest from one med lemon)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup– ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Cook the Pasta: add 6-8 cups salted water to boil for pasta, and cook according to directions
- Make the Sauce: Heat oil in a medium pot, over medium heat. Sauté shallot and garlic until fragrant and golden, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add carrots, cashews, water, You’re So Spain spice blend, sea salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat to low and simmer gently until carrots are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the 3 tablespoons of miso ( it doesn’t need to dissolve fully) and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the carrots simmer make the Carrot Top Gremolata and Toasted Panko or Bread Crumbs.
- Gremolata: Place carrot leaves, parsley, lemon zest and garlic in a food processor and pulse repeatedly until finely chopped. Add the salt and oil, pulsing a few more times until incorporated (but not too smooth). Add more oil if you prefer a looser version.
- Toasted Bread Crumbs: Place a ½-1 cup of bread crumbs or panko in a large skillet over medium heat, and drizzle with just enough olive oil to lightly coat. Add a good pinch of salt and granulated garlic if you like. Stir until golden, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Blend the Carrot Miso Sauce: Once the carrots are tender and slightly cooled, place all in a high-speed blender, covering tightly with a kitchen towel, blend on the lowest setting, gradually increasing speed, until fully blended, creamy and silky smooth about 1- 1 1/2 minutes. Take your time here and get it SMOOTH!!!
- If adding the peas, cook by boiling gently for 1 minute in a saucepan, drain and set aside.
- Drain the pasta and pour the sauce over the pasta, gently warming if needed.
- Add the peas. Toss well and taste and adjust salt. Divide among bowls, and sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and spoon the flavorful Carrot Top Gremolata over top.
Carrot and Asian Pear Soup with Mint Pistou and Walnuts
On Orcas Island where I spend time during the summer and fall months, we have an Asian pear tree. The pears are ripe late August to mid-September and I love finding delicious ways to eat them. Carrot and ginger soup is one of my favorites but I wondered how I could incorporate Asian pears into the mix. If you can't find Asian pears try using a Anjou pears instead.
Pasta With Sausage, Squash, And Sage
Looking for a quick weeknight meal? Well look no further! This recipe will soon be in your fall recipe rotation. There are certain foods I always try to keep in the fridge or freezer to help me create delicious, healthy and flavorful meals all week long. The key ones are frozen shrimp, corn, peas and chicken apple sausages. I never have a specific recipe for them at the time I buy them, but find they are just great with everything.
Creole Shrimp in a Creamy Coconut Tomato Sauce
With Mardi Gras coming up, I thought this would be a good recipe for you to try. It’s so tasty with the creole shrimp and the dairy-free tomato sauce. I really like shrimp because they are great grilled, pan-seared or broiled and they cook quickly which makes this recipe perfect for a weeknight meal.
Learn How to Cook
With Our Blends
At Healthy On You®, we feel it is integral to give back to our communities and those in need. We have carried out this mission by offering donation-based cooking classes, we call our Cooking for a Cause series. All proceeds are donated to that classes’s charity of choice, typically a cause fighting for social justice and equality. Join us to learn how to cook with your favorite Healthy On You® blends, support a great cause, and meet others who share a similar passion for flavorful, nutritious food!