Seasoning Beneath My Wings
Paleo Poultry Rub
You're So Spain
Savory Spanish Blend
- One 12- to 14 lb brined turkey (refer to the portion on how to brine the turkey, then proceed with the rest of this recipe)
- 1 tbsp Healthy On You® You're So Spain Savory Spanish Spice
- 1 tbsp Healthy On You® Seasoning Beneath My Wings Paleo Poultry Spice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 sprigs each fresh sage, rosemary & Thyme
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 3 stalks celery, chopped in 3 inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, chopped in 3 inch pieces
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 stick melted butter, plus 4 tablespoons, at room temp.
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ cups turkey stock
- Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Rinse and pat dry the brined turkey.
- In a small bowl, mix together the 4 tbsp soft butter with the You're So Spain and Seasoning Beneath My Wings spice blends to make a smooth, spreadable mixture. Using your hands, carefully separate the skin from the flesh of the turkey from the breasts toward the legs, making sure not to tear the skin. Spread about half of the butter mixture evenly between the skin and flesh on one side. Do the same on the other side using the remaining butter mixture. Any residual butter mixture on your hands or in the bowl can be rubbed on the outside of the turkey.
- Sprinkle the outside of the turkey with 2 tsp kosher salt, making sure to get it all over the surface. Tuck the wing tips under the top of the breasts. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Fold neck flap under, and secure with toothpicks.
- Place the roasting rack in the pan. Pour the broth and wine into the pan. Transfer the turkey to the rack.
- Combine the olive oil and 1 stick of melted butter in a small bowl. Fold a large piece of cheesecloth twice, creating 4 layers. Submerge the cloth in the melted butter, making sure it is completely saturated. Gently squeeze the cloth, then re-form so there are 4 layers and place on top of the turkey, covering it completely. Use a turkey baster to baste the cheesecloth with some of the remaining melted olive oil and butter.
- Place the turkey in the oven legs first. Roast for 30 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350˚F. Baste the turkey with the pan juices and more of the melted butter. Continue to roast, basting with butter and pan drippings every 30 minutes, for an additional 2 hours.
- Baste again to be sure the cheesecloth is still moist. Carefully remove the cheesecloth and discard it. This is a delicate process and if done too quickly, will tear the skin. Baste again, then return the turkey to the oven with the breasts facing towards the back and roast until a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a thigh measures 165˚F, about another 30 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes before carving.
Holiday Cranberry Chicken with Grapes & Tomatoes
It’s cranberry season! I love the tartness of these berries and experimenting with new ways to add them to my recipes is always fun and challenging. This delicious-and I stress, delicious recipe is a keeper! I prepared it last night for dinner guests and everyone was asking for the recipe after and there was not even a cranberry left in the pot. So here it is below. This recipe uses my Healthy On You® Seasoning Beneath My Wings spice blend to create a flavorful herb texture that makes the chicken irresistible. Pair it with wild rice, farro or quinoa for a delicious anytime meal.
Holiday Pot Roast
Wherever you are, this time of year is perfect for cooking comfort foods! This recipe is naturally gluten-free, has lots of delicious vegetables and is full of flavor. Typically, pot roasts take quite some time to cook. However, in this recipe we used our Instant Pot to speed things along! This recipes is great for a cozy meal and is perfect for the holidays!
Holiday Spatchcock Turkey
Do you know people whose least favorite dish at Thanksgiving is the turkey? Well, we’re here to change that! Even if you love turkey, this recipe is a must. Presenting our Holiday Spatchcock Turkey! We used our Healthy On You® I’m Still Brining holiday spice blend and it was the best turkey we’ve ever had… no joke. The turkey was perfectly juicy and filled with unique flavors. No one at the table even touched the gravy, a rare occurrence in our family.
Learn How to Cook
With Our Blends
At Healthy On You®, we feel it is integral to give back to our communities and those in need. We have carried out this mission by offering donation-based cooking classes, we call our Cooking for a Cause series. All proceeds are donated to that classes’s charity of choice, typically a cause fighting for social justice and equality. Join us to learn how to cook with your favorite Healthy On You® blends, support a great cause, and meet others who share a similar passion for flavorful, nutritious food!